After 22 weeks:
About The Client
Our client is one of the largest private sanitation companies in South America, serving 16 million people across more than 100 municipalities. The units operate in water and wastewater services, through partnerships with state-owned and private companies, as well as with state and municipal governments.
The client’s operations complement public investments to ensure universal coverage of water supply and wastewater treatment. At the same time, they also develop and improve on innovative technologies, being entirely committed to promoting environmental conservation and helping develop and improve life quality of its surrounding communities.
Our existing relationship with this client has resulted in a deep understanding of their needs, requirements and overall business operations. When one of their units wanted to improve their production planning, we knew where to begin our work.
What Was Discovered
Our initial analysis quickly identified several aspects that could be improved:
- Overall field productivity was low
- Work orders were generated locally and were subjectively scheduled
- Programming and routing of services were done manually.
- There was an absence of key indicators, and a lack of effective execution control
- Structured action planning was weak, with lack of clarity between local and corporate management roles
As a result, a 22-week transformation program was set up with the aim of:
- Restructuring the back office to create a production planning & control (PPC) department
- Implementing changes to existing processes and systems using our Focus Process® to create a working standard for all units
- Mapping all critical processes
- Creating new work instructions and to-do explainer videos of their processes
“Renoir has been key in helping us change the way we schedule field teams, transform the units’ decentralized schedules to a corporately centralized model, and ensure the same performance management routines.”
What Was Implemented
Using our patented Focus Process®, we developed a transformation programme specifically to promote ownership and sustainability. We mapped, reviewed, and critiqued existing processes, procedures and key elements of the commercial management system.
From here, our consultants worked together with project team members from the client’s side to develop new performance indicators and train the client-side leadership to successfully implement the roll-out in other operating units.
18 weeks in, we started seeing tangible and sustainable changes that quickly became routine:
- Training in field studies to identify ‘bad actors’ that impact performance and develop solutions that add value to the work execution process
- Development and implementation of structured management routines that focus on
- results for the programmers, PPC management team and field management
- Definition and structuring of the parameters necessary for the smooth functioning of the automatic programming process
- Implementation of monitoring and control routines for field teams
- Development and implementation of a dashboard, with the necessary KPIs to manage the area
The results were extremely encouraging. After 22 weeks:
These results also translated into long-term benefits:
As a result of improvements relating to the scheduling and execution KPIs, we were able to deliver real value to the client. We successfully showed that the training of teams, implementing more efficient processes, and developing structured routines, can significantly help manage change. This in turn develops a culture of continuous improvement, as well as in the commitment to operational excellence.